Friday, October 24, 2008

Organizing and Downsizing

Well, the time has come for us to start organizing and downsizing what we have. For some time now we have had the idea of putting all of our DVDs into a CD storage binder. So today I have taken on the task of finally doing it. Before doing it, our shelves were full of DVDs in cases.
I began by alphabetizing all of the DVDs. Excel is very helpful for this. I just typed in the titles and then I clicked the button to alphabetize them. In the process, they were all over the floor in piles of movies beginning with each letter of the alphabet. I think the only letter that we didn't have was Q.
Next I used my address book program to print labels for each movie. I also put the length of the movie, the rating and if it had a Spanish language track or Spanish sub-titles. Then, I put them into the into the CD binder and labeled each one.
Now all the DVDs fit into this binder which will take up much less room in the car when we move.

Now on to other things that I need to organize and get rid of. This is really going to be a big job, but, little by little it will get done. I think now I will go on to the books. I can't bring them all and there are some that I haven't used in a very long time. You know, if I can get this going and get rid of the things we won't need in the next six months or that we are not taking with us, my house will be a lot easier to keep clean. Of course I can't get rid of everything because some of the things I will need to use while we are here.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are doing this ahead of me; I can learn a lot! I will just follow your lead, instead of reinventing the wheel, so to speak. Thanks!