Friday, May 28, 2010

Crafts and Friends

     In April I went to a women's retreat here in Puebla.  At the retreat they had yarn and knitting needles for everyone to learn how to knit.  I had learned how to knit years ago with my Grammy but I never continued it.  At the time, I really didn't like it too much. Over the years, I have done a lot of crocheting, making blankets for each of my grandchildren and other things.  I discovered at the retreat, that I do enjoy knitting and since then have really taken off.  I have even tried some new stitches that I have learned on YouTube.  Since April 24, I have made nine scarves and I am working on the tenth.  (Not all of them are pictured)  I decided that I would make our Christmas presents this year.
     At the small mall near us, there is a yarn kiosk and I have discovered that their yarn is not too badly priced.  It's still cheaper in the United States though.  The lady at the kiosk, Margarita, told me that if I bought yarn from her, she would teach me any stitch she knows.  Well, she has taught me a new stitch which is called the Tunisian or Afghan stitch.  It uses a longer crochet hook and is kind of a cross between crocheting and knitting.  She said she had a stitch that would use two colors and is one color on one side and a second color on the other. She began showing me this new stitch and was impressed that learned so quickly.  She doesn't even keep a sample of this stitch out because she has many people ask about it but they can't seem to learn it. 
     Margarita is such a sweet lady.  In Spanish there are two forms of saying "you."  There is a formal form called Usted which you use for people older than you and in places of respect or authority.  The other form is called "tú" and is used for friends, family and people younger than you.  I asked Margarita, "Puedo tener Usted..." or "Can I have..."  She turned and looked at me and said, "No, you and me are friends, you no use Usted with me."  She speaks very good English but it is obvious she is still learning.  It is very cute.  She also told me, "If you need help, if you forget how to do stitch, you come back and I show again." I think she wants to show me every stitch she has samples for.  Please be praying that God would open opportunities for me to share Christ's love with her. 
     Erin has also wanted to knit, but it is more difficult for her.  So Margarita showed her how to use a knitting loom and has almost finished a scarf.  She is very excited about it and I am so proud of her.  We can now sit and knit together. 

*****************************
Here are some of the scarves I have made. 
This is the one that is a different color on each side.  I am so excited about doing this one, I think the baby blanket I will be starting soon will be in this pattern.  Since my new grandbaby is a grandson, it will not be in pink. 
Erin's knitting loom project.

4 comments:

Alexis said...

looks like a fun hobby! Looks great!

Gail said...

It has been fun. I am getting ready to start my new grandbaby's blanket. Even though he is due in four weeks, I have plenty of time since I will be bringing back with us in September.

Katherine said...

I always found knitting/crocheting very relaxing. I'm glad you and Erin are making great gifts together.

I'm especially glad you get to visit Portland in September! How wonderful... You deserve a break today -- but in a few months will do! ;)

Gail said...

Erin just finished her first scarf and it turned out so nice. She has started her second one. Me? I am working hard on a baby blanket now... Any time now, we will have a new grandbaby. She is now 37 weeks 3 days.