Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Think About Such Things

I have recently been battling my negative thought life. Have you ever noticed, when discouragement comes, how easy it is to focus on the negative? It is not a place I like to be. So lately, I have been praying and asking God to help me in this area. We have been through so many changes in this past year. With the holidays approaching and being so far away from our children, grandchildren, family and friends, it's easy to get down. But what does God's word tell us?

Philippians 4:8 tells us, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."

If the circumstances around you are not as you would like, think about what is good. God is good, all the time. No matter where we are or what we are going through, He is good. The truth is, He loves us, O how He loves us. When I think of not being with my children and grandchildren for Christmas, I start thinking of how good it is that our technology today allows me to talk to them on the phone and that things like e-mail and blogs allow me see pictures of my grandchildren growing. What a wonderful thing. I am so blessed.

We serve an awesome God who loves us so much that he sent his Son to come to earth as a baby. How many of us would send our one and only son away? But God did, and Jesus knew and felt all the things that we do. So, when discouraging thoughts come, I know my Savior has been there and what did he do? He went to the Father. When times are hard, I am realizing how much more we need to run to the Father just as Jesus did.

So, today, if the holidays are hard for you, remember to think on the good things, the excellent things and the praiseworthy things. If you think you can't, start telling God out loud your thoughts about him. "God, you love me and you are worthy of my praise. Thank you for sending your Son to me. You are good, all the time." When I do this, and I do it out loud, it is very hard to continue thinking the discouraging thoughts. When we verbalize it, it is also something that the enemy cannot stand and he won't want to stick around. Try it and see what happens.

Lord, I pray today that you would help those that have difficulty through the holidays. Be close to them and help them to see the good things. Let them see that you love them so much and that you are right there with them. I pray blessings on them today, throughout this season and into the new year. Amen.

0 comments: