Tuesday, February 24, 2009

God's Calling vs. Our Desires

"Lord, I give up all my own plans and purposes, all my own desires and hopes, and accept Thy will for my life. I give myself, my life, my all utterly to Thee to be Thine forever. Fill me and seal me with Thy Holy Spirit. Use me as Thou wilt, work out Thy whole will in my life at any cost, now and forever." ~Elisabeth Elliot~

This is a quote from Elisabeth Elliot, the wife of martyred missionary, Jim Elliot. Jim Elliot's famous quote is my favorite, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

As soon to be full-time missionaries we realize that we are giving up a lot, but what we give up is less of a cost than our Savior gave up for us. He gave his very life for us so that we can gain a life that we cannot lose. In following Christ, who gave up everything, how we can anything but give up our desires, our possessions, and our everything in order to follow Him in the calling He has placed on us.

Although some may not understand this calling, I choose to give up my plans and purposes, my own desires and hopes, and accept His will for my life, wherever that may lead me. I have found that as I give up my desires for the things this world says are important and follow His calling, then His calling becomes my desire and the things of this world become less important.

3 comments:

Middleton said...

thanks for sharing... I am so in the process of learning to give up what I see and can lose anyway for things I cannot see but will never lose. It sounds so easy - if only it were!

Gail said...

Amy, this is certainly a process, one of which I am still working through. It would be nice if it were easy but then there wouldn't be sacrifice on our part. It has taken some time for us to get to this point. Keep your eyes on Him and He will direct you and lead you through the process.

Alexis said...

I love reading how you and your family are doing! I also love the pictures- keep them coming. Wow, about one month left...we'll certainly miss you.