Thursday, May 14, 2009

Setting Up the House

The church bells are chiming, birds are chirping and the sun is shining. ¡Es un día muy bonito! It’s a beautiful day! The rain clouds are gone and the rain has stopped. Last night we had an awesome thunder and lightning storm and the rain was coming down very, very hard. We love those kinds of storms here although in a house without a lot of furniture, it sure sounded loud as it echoed through the house. ¡Fue muy chido! It was very cool!

Last night, Jim went to church but I stayed home with the kids. After an already long day, we went to Walmart at 4:00PM and the kids were very, very tired. Since I was home, I was able to put everything away that we had bought. We got our dishes, glasses, pots and pans, cooking utensils, and other various items for the kitchen. We also got a few groceries. Today we will need to go back to get more stuff to set up our home here. We found out yesterday that the missionaries are given two weeks to get settled in. That took a lot of pressure off us to try to do everything in a couple of days. We are still anxious to get our house all set up so we will be doing everything as quickly as possible. We will get our washer today, yea! I can wash some clothes. The only problem is, I can’t dry them yet and I don’t have a clothes line. Oh well, we are learning to make do.

Last night while Jim was gone, I was putting stuff away and I was going to try to put our bed together. For those of you that don’t know, we have a sleep number bed and we always said that when we go to Mexico it was coming with us. Well, I got out the bottom piece and I was looking for the holes where the pump hoses go. There were no holes. We had brought the wrong bottom piece. My heart sank for a moment. In past situations where I might cry, Erin would always looks at me and points her finger and say, “Don’t!” meaning don’t cry. Well last night, I walked to down the stairs and she looked at me and said, “It’s okay mom, you can cry now.” The thing is, I didn’t and I really didn’t want to. With everything that we have gone through in the past few days, I just said, “Okay Lord, somehow we’ll make it work.”

When Jim returned from church, we made the bed work together. The piece we were missing is the main bottom piece the zips onto the top and holds it all together. The piece we had was the cover that goes over the platform making it look like a box spring. So, we used that piece and put it together and our sheet is holding it all together. It was so good to sleep in our own bed last night. Now, if we can just get the people around here to realize that they don’t need to set off M-80 fireworks at 5:30 in the morning, we’d be doing a lot better.

For the many times we were asked what we would be doing here, Jim talked to Jerry last night and Jerry said he would set up a time for orientation in the next week. He told Jim that it’s not a matter of what his responsibilities are; it’s a matter of if the load will be too much. It sounds like they will be using his many talents.

Oh, by the way, it’s Erin’s birthday today! ¡Ella tiene once años! She is eleven years old! She’s growing up so fast. She wanted to cook breakfast for us today. I told her it was her birthday and I should be making breakfast for her, but she insisted. She’s getting pretty good at making eggs. Happy Birthday Erin!
We have limited access to the Internet right now and not a lot of time, so I hope to post pictures in the near future. Keep posted for updates.

This morning we went to Home Depot and were able to get some fans for the house. I am one who sweats terribly, just ask Kristen. It will be nice to have some circulation in the house. We also got a shelf for the kitchen and some curtain rods. Now we need curtains. Oh yeah, we also got a plastic table and four plastic chairs. We have something to sit on and eat at! Once we get a dining room set, we will use the plastic ones out side or in our front bonus room. I guess that's all for now.